Always follow good record keeping practices. The information will be used to assess the welfare of a child.
Here are some tips for keeping records:
- Record direct disclosures word for word as much as you can
- Include as many details as possible
- Be objective – record the facts as they have happened
- Do not include your opinion or make assumptions
- Make sure you record the date, time and sign the report
- Keep all confidential information in a secured location
- A critical incident report may be required by your organization
Keep in mind that your notes and files can be required by the court. If Crown Council or the Defence calls you to court, they will guide you through the process to prepare you for a possible appearance.