When to Call the Police

Police and child welfare workers have complementary roles in responding to abuse and neglect. Call your local police detachment or 9-1-1 and ask for the police when:

  • a child is in immediate danger
  • a criminal offence against a child has been or is likely to be committed

Report your concerns to a child welfare worker after you call the police.

Children who are abused or neglected may be victims of criminal offences such as, but not limited to:

  • criminal negligence causing bodily harm
  • physical and sexual assault
  • sexual interference or sexual invitation to touch a child under 14
  • sexual exploitation of a child
  • failure to provide the necessities of life